On November 24th, the Gamecocks turned it up a notch at a neutral site and narrowly beat the Bears, 74-67, in overtime.
South Carolina defeated Missouri State while maintaining a strong statistical advantage in shooting and defensive rebounding.
While the Gamecocks shot 56%, the Bears could only manage 39% against their defense. South Carolina used a big advantage on the boards to win the possession battle with 29 defensive rebounds to 17 for Missouri State.
LaShay Page put up the most points against the Bears with 22 on 54% shooting from the floor in 36 minutes. Eric Smith had a game-high six assists to lend a hand in the victory.
The Gamecocks sit at 4-1 early in the season.
Next on the schedule the Gamecocks face St. John's on November 29th.
South Carolina Game Notes:
- The top two scorers (LaShay Page and Michael Carrera) accounted for 54.0% of the points.
- South Carolina has played in 2 overtime games this season. Over the last 5 seasons the Gamecocks have played in 9 overtime games with a record of 6-3.
- The Gamecocks have won 2 close games this season (a win by 5 or fewer points). Since 2007, South Carolina has won 27 close games.
- This marks the 6th 20-point game of LaShay Page's career.
- USC beat the spread by 4.5 points. That makes the 3rd time this season the Gamecocks have beat the spread.
Missouri State Game Notes:
- Christian Kirk has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- The top two rebounders (Keith Pickens and Christian Kirk) accounted for 44.8% of the rebounds.
- The top two scorers (Marcus Marshall and Christian Kirk) accounted for 49.2% of the points.
- Anthony Downing has 5 straight double-digit point games.
- Missouri State lost and did not cover the spread.
Check out the complete Games Notes
Tags: LaShay Page
, Eric Smith